SAN DIEGO, September 11, 2018 – The largest “EV party” in town – the annual Electric Vehicle Day where everyone is invited to come learn and test drive the latest models of plug-in cars and “kick the tires” so to speak, with no sales pressure – is happening on Saturday, Sept. 15, at Liberty Station.
San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), along with Cleantech San Diego and the Center for Sustainable Energy, are co-sponsoring the FREE day-long event. Plug-In America, a nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the shift to plug-in vehicles, will have prize drawings for EV rebates – three $1,000 rebates will be given out at the end of each hour of the five-hour event. A total of 15 rebates will go to lucky winners who will be able to use them to offset the purchase or lease price of a new fully electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle.
Now in its sixth year, the event is getting bigger each year, as more and more people become “EV curious.” A growing number of local residents and drivers nationwide are transitioning to electric vehicles (EV) as more models become available and costs come down with improved technology and performance. Today, this region is home to about 30,500 EVs and nearly 1,500 public charging stations – making it one of the easiest places in America to drive electric.
Date: Saturday, September 15, 2018
Time: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Location: Liberty Station, Ingram Plaza, 2751 Dewey Road, San Diego, CA 92106
- Latest plug-in models representing more than a dozen automakers to fit every budget and lifestyle – such as the Mitsubishi Outlander, Nissan LEAF, Chevy Bolt and Volt, BMW 330e, Honda Clarity Electric, Toyota Prius Prime Hybrid and more – will be onsite for test spins and stationary displays.
- Prize drawings by Plug In America, which will give away three $1,000 EV rebates each hour (a total of 15 rebates during the five-hour event).
- Plenty of displays, demonstrations, and information booths staffed by experts who will answer questions about:
- Buying, owning, and charging an EV
- SDG&E’s special pricing plans for charging EVs
- Local, state and federal financial incentives for buying and leasing an EV
- EV Tailgate – Those who already own an EV are invited to display their car, tailgate and talk to attendees about their experience driving electric. Already, more than 100 EV drivers have signed up for the tailgate.
- Kids Activity Tent – The Girl Scouts of San Diego will staff a tent to engage children in hands-on activities building solar-powered gadgets from kits and learning the basics of electronics with snap-together circuits.
- Electric bicycle test rides
- Vendors who will provide a variety of food for purchase
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides clean, safe, and reliable energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. The company is committed to creating a sustainable future by providing around 45 percent of its electricity from renewable sources; modernizing natural gas pipelines; accelerating the adoption of electric vehicles; supporting numerous non-profit partners; and investing in innovative technologies to ensure the reliable operation of the region’s infrastructure for generations to come. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), an energy services holding company based in San Diego. For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE), and Facebook.