Thank you for joining us for our #CareersInEnergy Instagram chats! We’re excited to share information about the positions we have available and answer your questions about becoming part of the team. If you miss a session that covers information you’re interested in, don’t worry - you didn’t miss your chance to apply, and the questions and answers from the session will be available under our “Careers” Instagram highlight for you to review.
- Session 1: Monday, June 15, Noon – 2 p.m.: Entry level gas and electric workers – how to apply for line assistants and laborer roles
- Session 2: Monday, June 22, Noon – 2 p.m.: Learn more about becoming a call center representative
- Session 3: Thursday, June 25, Noon – 2 p.m.: More about careers in the energy field, including at SDG&E
- Session 4: Monday, June 29, Noon – 2 p.m.: Meet our college recruiting team and learn how to apply at SDG&E early
Session 3 – Thursday, June 25th
SDG&E Senior Staffing Advisor Bryanna walker covered types of careers available at SDG&E, how to stay informed when your desired position opens up and answered general recruiting and careers questions. You can see the full Q&A at our Instagram "Careers" highlight.
Session 2 – Monday, June 22nd
SDG&E Recruiter Kelly Porciello will covered information and answered questions about our energy service specialist positions, who provide high quality customer service to our customers. More information is listed below. Follow along with our Instagram stories and career highlights to keep up on the Q&As!
1. Energy Service Specialist - APPLY HERE
This is a full-time position working in our Customer Contact Center. Flexible shifts are scheduled based on operational needs and will include weekend hours. This is a fast-paced inbound customer contact environment supporting a variety of customer communication channels, including phone interactions, live chat, and e-mail.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Support a variety of customer communication channels (phone, live chat, and email) in a fast-paced inbound call center environment.
- Be an energy expert advisor for residential and commercial customers.
- Advise customers on rate components, rate options, energy efficiency, demand response programs, energy conservation, applicable rebates and solutions.
- Discuss options to help customers best manage their energy usage.
- Answer general/customer billing inquiries
- Respond to emergency requests
Successful Candidates Must Have
- Three years of experience in customer service or sales required
- High School diploma or GED required; College education preferred
- Strong analytical skills; ability to comprehend and explain complex concepts
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Maintain positive customer interactions and value the customer experience
- Bilingual speaking proficiency in Spanish/English a plus
Get full description and more information and apply HERE.
Session 1 – Monday, June 15th - DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THESE POSITIONS AT THIS TIME
For this session, SDG&E Senior Recruiter Alayne Kiralla provided information and answered questions about our entry-level line assistant and laborer positions, who work to support our electric and gas infrastructure. More information is listed below. Don’t forget to check out our highlights on Instagram to review our Q&A!
1. Line Assistant – DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED AT THIS TIME
Line Assistant is the first step of in the progression to the Journeyman Lineman position. They will perform manual labor on overhead and underground electric construction and maintenance crews. Under the direct supervision of qualified electrical workers, the Line Assistant will be required to perform a large number of tasks in a training capacity.
These tasks will include, but not be limited to:
- Loading and unloading tools and materials in trucks and trailers.
- driving commercial vehicles; assisting with the preparation and installation of various materials on power poles, in subsurface hand holes and vaults, and on pad mounted equipment; operating pneumatic tools (clay spades, tampers, etc.).
- digging and shoveling dirt; climbing ladders.
- pulling heavy cable or rope manually, up to 100 pounds.
- operating ground controls of hydraulic crane and aerial man lift machines.
- using hand and power operated tools to assemble wooden cross arms and poles and other pieces of the electric system assembling rope splicing and knot tying.
- and sending tools and materials up to linemen working aloft by using a rope and pulley system.
Upon completion of this training, they will be assigned to a Construction and Operations Center in San Diego County or Southern Orange County. At the Construction and Operation Center, each Line Assistant will be assigned to various electric construction crews.
2. Laborer – DUE TO HIGH VOLUME OF APPLICATIONS, APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
As an active member of a crew this position will play a role in working on a pressurized gas system for jobs such as, but not limited to, infrastructure maintenance, new construction and emergency response. All crew persons are expected to take direction from crew leaders. All crew persons are expected to adapt to crew leader work styles and must be able to perform repetitive tasks for, at times, extended work periods. Crew persons shall perform unskilled manual labor duties utilizing pneumatic tools and/or basic digging tools such as shovels, picks, digging bars and clay diggers to excavate holes and ditches. Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Digging holes and ditches using tools such as shovels, picks, crowbars, and clay diggers; breaking up pavement with pneumatic jack hammers (up to 90 lbs.); loading broken pavement and excess dirt into trucks; and secure pipe fittings, tools, and equipment from truck.
- Refilling excavation trenches, pouring and surfacing premixed concrete for replacing pavement; cutting and removing weeds and brush; and other construction related clean-up work.
- After initial training, crew persons must be able to recognize a variety of materials such as steel, plastic pipe, pipe fittings, tools, and equipment.
- Other duties as assigned
Looking for help with your job search?
The San Diego Workforce Partnership helps San Diegans prepare for and find employment with services including resume and interview workshops, training and all-around support.