2017 Year in Review: Delivering on Clean, Safe and Reliable
At SDG&E, we come to work every day focused on improving the lives and communities we serve by delivering the cleanest, safest and most reliable energy.
Over the last year, we have made great strides toward achieving our goal to be the best energy company in America. We are reducing our region’s collective carbon footprint through renewable energy integration and clean transportation initiatives that help more people and businesses switch to electric drive; we are improving public safety with the latest tools and technologies that help increase situational awareness and inform operational decisions during fire season; and we are enhancing reliability through investments to modernize infrastructure and build new projects such as battery storage.
Led by our president, Scott Drury, who assumed the post this January, our company undertook numerous groundbreaking and award-winning projects and programs in 2017. Below are some key highlights of the year:
- In January, we launched EcoChoice, a program that offers our customers the opportunity to purchase up to 100 percent of their energy from renewable sources.
- Also in January, we filed seven new proposals that would bring electric vehicle charging infrastructure to the airport, local port, delivery fleets, shuttle services and residences in San Diego.
- In February, we unveiled what was then the world’s largest lithium ion battery energy storage facility in Escondido to enhance regional energy reliability and maximize renewable energy use. The facility was named Dive Project of the Year in December by the trade publication Utility Dive.
- In March, we completed utility upgrades for the 1,000th mobile home park residence, giving these customer safer and more reliable energy as well as access to money saving programs.
- Also in March, we kicked off our 8th annual Environmental Champions initiative, supporting nonprofit climate science education programs for both children and adults so they can be empowered to become environmental stewards in our communities.
- In April, we announced that we had signed contracts for five new local battery storage facilities for a total of 83.5 megawatts (MW).
- We also charged up the STEM ecosystem in April with our annual Inspiring Future Leaders giving initiative, which supports programs that cultivate students’ interest in science, technology, engineering and math and help to develop our next generation of diverse, skilled workforce.
- In November, the PA Consulting Group recognized us for the 12th straight year for ‘Outstanding Reliability Performance’ among utilities in the west region. We also received the ‘Outstanding Technology and Innovation’ award.
- Also in November, we unveiled Alert SDG&E Cameras—a set of 15 high-definition cameras designed to improve fire detection and protect communities by creating a live-streaming view of San Diego’s most fire-prone areas. That pre-existing network has been credited with the early detection of more than 300 fires in the region over the past two years.
- In December, we received the prestigious Platts Global Energy Award for Industry Leadership in the Power sector at the 19th annual awards ceremony. We were honored for innovation, operational excellence, safety and security against a backdrop of rapid changes in the energy landscape.
- In 2017, we increased the percentage of renewable energy we deliver to customers to 43 percent, and we are on track to reach 49 percent in the next few years.
With the new year upon us, we are renewing our commitment to our customers, our employees and the communities we serve to be the cleanest, safest and most reliable energy company in America. The energy industry is on the cutting-edge of many important changes, and we are not only a utility who is embracing this change, but leading the charge.